Tuesday 2 August 2011

Positive Side of the Weekend

Paintings for sale over the weekend: 11

Paintings sold: 0

Paintings created: 2

Positive Feedback from public: Priceless

Positive comments, suggestions and mentoring from other artists: Priceless


Here's my display (painting bottom left is not mine)



Here's me painting - my dad took pics.

Well, where do I start. This weekend was the art sale and it was a disappoinment and a good experience too. I didn't sell any paintings, 0, none, zero, zip, nil, nada, not a sausage or a scrag, nothing.

So what happened? The weather was bad - storms - hard rain esp on Sunday, some sunny patches on Saturday. So people came up for the Truffle Festival and then went home, they didn't wander round the shops or come and see our art. The community centre had heaps of signs out as well as flyers and brochures. The centre (which is an old house) was set up beautifully, just gorgeous, I was 'stuck' out in the art shed but people popped in to see me.

About 100 family and friends came on Saturday and probably about 50 on Sunday. Not sure how many people went to the Truffle Festival - they were hoping 20,000.  My in-laws and my parents came along on Saturday morning, some of my friends popped in on Sunday.  Many locals don't leave home over the weekend as there is very little parking but we had heaps of parking at the centre.

I got some positive comments and mentoring from Andy - he's one of the dad's from school that I've worked in the cafeteria with last week and last term and has done an art course at Uni. He gave positive comments and then said how I could improve the paintings and encouraged me to increase my prices and have an exhibition.

A lady came in who used to own an art gallery and spoke to one of the volunteers and she said I should have an exhibition.  I have no where to put 11 paintings at home so I'm gonna have to get off my butt and approach some cafes and small galleries in the area to see if they could hang my paintings and find a venue for an exhibition.

Even though I was disppointed that I didn't sell any paintings it was a great experience that I'm so glad that I made the effort to finish paintings and spend two days painting in the art shed at the centre.

Here are the 2 paintings I created over the weekend - I chose subjects familiar to me so I wouldn't be so nervous/worried - they still need to be 'decorated'.
On a positive note....

I got some good positive responses to my paintings. People enjoyed watching me paint and I enjoyed painting in front of people - it was my first time and I found that it doesn't bother me at all.  Two people said they were interested in my class - wanted to pay right then and there and one turned up Monday morning.

4 comments:

  1. I know what you're saying. It's really hard when you put yourself out there and people don't buy your work. It's not the only indicator of success but at the same time it's really validating when they do. It's also great to get a really positive response and lots of feedback and you've got to embrace all that. Keep at it Michelle. The more you work at it the more success will come your way. Congratulations on creating a body of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, thank you for your encouragement and being an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so colorful and love your flowers in the top Shells. Thanks for following on my blog. I"m following back. Looks like some fun things you are doing here.

    Blessings on your day,

    Coleen, an American in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all your comments Coleen.

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...