Friday 14 March 2014

Round Gelli Plate Fun 3

I was very inspired by a quilting pattern I saw on Instagram by @sandieloves2art to create these round gelli plate prints.

In this one I printed the yellow round print first then rolled on blue/green to the plate and masked out areas to keep the yellow.

In this second print blue paint went on first then the yellow.

I created the masked out shape by cutting out a circle from tracing/greaseproof/deli paper, then folding it over many times into triangles, then open out the paper and cut along the folded lines.  You should have many little triangles that you can put onto plate.

In the above prints the masked out shapes had the pointy end towards the outside then I decided to turn them around and put the masking triangles with the pointy ends towards the centre.

Top row: dark/blue over light/yellow. Pointy end toward centre.
Bottom row: light over dark and pointy end to the outside.
Left hand column is the bottom layer ghost print of the right hand first layer - so be prepared with many sheets.

Another tip - it can be very difficult to print one layer exactly over the other so I put the paper on the plate as close to the edge as possible. 

Also when making the masking shapes - after I had folded it I then cut off a little bit of the thick end.  I liked to have the outer edge of the print coloured as it grounds the print though I have done it the other way and gone all the way to the edge and you seem to get a bunch of shapes floating in the air/white space of the paper.

I have also been creating some more dreamcatcher/mobiles too.







Hope you've been having fun gelli printing too.

PS  Do you love creating gelli prints?  Want a place to discuss gelli printing?  To show off your work?  Share your ideas? Discuss the pros and cons of different paints/paper/plates/tools etc?  Get some great ideas on what to do with the thousands of prints you have created?

Then I would love you to join me at the Gelatin Printing Enthusiasts Facebook Group.


4 comments:

  1. Hello, My name is Samantha Barnes and I was interested in joining your Gelatin Printing Enthusiasts Facebook Group. I went to the page and it said it was a closed group. How can I go about joining? P.S. Please pardon my Facebook lameness :( .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha, there should be a Join Group button towards the right hand side of the page. We look forward to seeing you in the group. Michelle.

      Delete
  2. Michelle, is it possible the link is your admin of the group? There is no join group button, but gives the option of inviting members by email

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I just gave the link to a friend who is not part of the group and she said it shows that it is a closed group and that there is a Join Group button. I can invite members by email but Samantha has not left an email through her comments whereas you have - through the comment moderations email I received.

      Delete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...