Monday 14 April 2014

Beverley - Gelli Print Girl Framed

Beverley has been framed and sent to the Beverley Art Exhibition in Beverley over the Easter weekend.

She is now my new avatar so I won't be sad if she doesn't sell, I'll be happy to have her come home.



She was created on watercolour paper with watercolour crayons for the face, then I gelli plate printed the background.  This required 6 seamless prints, no overlapping and for me to work fast so the paint didn't dry out - so I chose one colour teal for this. (I've bought the large gelli plate to help overcome this problem.) I created some gelli prints to use for the Akubra Hat and blouse and cut them out and collaged them on. I decided the background needed more colour so I put a blue watercolour wash over it. Then I used acrylic paint for the hair - a braid/plait - a new style for me but suited my outback jillaroo.  I had butterflies swarming my stomach when I took her to the framers but they were very nice and we picked out a frame that was wooden and slightly textured but not too fussy.


Beverley was the first gelli print girl I've had framed which is a big thing for me to be able to say that my art is worthy of framing and of sending to an exhibition - sometimes we just have to put our brave girl boots on and go for it.  There are many artists out there who create girls but this is how I like to create mine - with a less fussy background so the gelli print clothes get to stand out - and it's how it's been for a few years now since I started to creating girls.


PS  Do you love creating gelli prints?  Want a place to discuss gelli printing?  To show off your work?  Share your ideas? Discuss the pros and cons of different paints/paper/plates/tools etc?  Get some great ideas on what to do with the thousands of prints you have created?

Then I would love you to join me at the Gelatin Printing Enthusiasts Facebook Group.



2 comments:

  1. She's fabulous! "Gelatin Printing Enthusiastists Facebook Group", here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, I love Beverley! I've only had my gelli plate for a few months but am so addicted to it already! Look forward to seeing your work, Vic (new follower) :)

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...