Thursday 1 March 2018

March 2018 GPE Challenge/Inspiration

I have created a challenge per month for my Gelatin Printing Enthusiasts Facebook group.



March 2018 inspiration is Claude Monet - the founder of French Impressionism painting.

I chose Monet for this month challenge as I thought his style of painting lent itself to the painterly technique on the gel plate - which is using a paintbrush instead of a roller to apply paint to the plate and a picture is created on the plate before printing.



Some video links to the painterly technique:

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/95701560816055149/
https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/95701560816055165/


I have tried this technique before but found it difficult and purposeless (why not paint directly onto canvas? I asked myself) but I thought I'd have another go at it. I still found it difficult and didn't like my print of Monet's bridge so much that I'm not even going to show it to you! But I used it for the water lilies in the top right but the background was a print with a scrunched paper background. I created more backgrounds and prints to use for the collage at the bottom.

I also keep reminding myself not to expect an exact copy of Monet's work - he is a way better artist than I am and it's his technique.  His artwork is just inspiration for my techniques.

The goal being to try something different and have fun too.

Here's a link to my Claude Monet Pinterest board.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...