Tuesday 18 September 2012

Squam Fall 2012

I had an awesome time at Squam - an art workshop on Squam Lake in New Hampshire, USA.

I flew 25 hours + to feel the magic, to meet other creatives, to learn new techniques and to meet my amazing teachers - Kelly Barton and Sarah Ahearn, to be inspired, encouraged and to hike a mountain and swim in a lake.

And I bought some great weather with me too!!!

Thursday morning we woke up to a beautiful sunrise:









Kelly Barton's C'mon Let's Play class was a lot fun and it was great to create one of her girls instead of one of mine...





Friday we woke up to another beautiful sunrise (Saturday was too cloudy and Sunday  I decided to stay in bed...)





Sarah Ahearn's Paint and Pages class was great as I learnt a new technique on photo transfers that I can apply to the 1890 book I bought at the Strand Bookstore in New York City and keep it intact...





And my work - all in progress, still some to finish off when I get home...


The Rockywold Deephaven Camps on Squam Lake has great cabins and a beautiful environment...

A little on the history of the camp:

The Rockywold-Deephaven Camps are unique in that they have resisted change in the basic philosophies of their founders. To be sure, we are not the same as we were in 1897, when Miss Alice Mable Bacon founded Deephaven, nor as in 1901 when Mrs. Mary Alice Armstrong founded Rockywold. Both of these pioneering women adapted and changed as time went on but held strongly to their basic principles.

Two women in the late 1800's and early 1900's founded the campsite - this is totally awesome and part of the magic and why it is such a great place for women to create and the land is set aside for educational, recreational and inspirational purposes.




I did hang up my Inspirational Paper Bunting Flags that I made one weekend back in June when I had a cold...




I swam in the lake, hiked a mountain and made new friends...lots but these are all the pics I have...



Kristine, me and Finch, me and Ana...

I also met Emily Falconbridge, an Aussie living in the States, so I asked her where she was from and she said Perth so I said where in Perth and she named the suburb across the highway from mine - she's from my neighbourhood and she went to the same high school as my boys!!!

The food was great but I took no pics and my tummy was a little unhappy with the water...I also got bitten by something on Friday and have a nasty rash along my back camisole line and down my arm.

The Squam Art Fair on Saturday night was awesome too...I bought some of Sarah's prints and some of Paper Taxi's cards which are easy to travel home with...

It was awesome, I'm so grateful and feel so blessed that I had this opportunity to go to Squam.

15 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to attend Squam. So glad that you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your photos, Michelle. I was waiting for them. And - they all look soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are amazing traveling all that way and it was SO AWESOME to have you here!! thank you so so so much for bringing all that gorgeous sunshine-- we never had it so good. and boo on the bite-- stupid insects.

    hope your feeling better pronto-- xoox, e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth for giving people the wings and/or the push to fly. <3

      Delete
  4. So amazing! I hope to go to the workshops next year! Thanks for buying some of my cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your cards, hope you can make it next year.

      Delete
  5. Looks like it was fabulous Shell :) I'm a bit envious of you and Tracy doing the travelling thing...One day hopefully it'll be me.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fi, one day you'll make it to Squam.

      Delete
  6. Such a grand adventure & so happy you were there to share it with me - plus I enjoyed bragging that my roommate traveled the furthest to get to Squam.

    Enjoy the rest of your travels in the states!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all your help and for being a great roommate. <3

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you had an amazing time. So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michelle! It was so nice to meet you at Squam! I completely forgot we had a photo taken together. I look forward to seeing where your inspiration takes you!

    ReplyDelete

All comments moderated. Please leave a comment after the beep....beeeeep...